Cocoa was already used by the mysterious Maya civilization of Central America, and it was first domesticated around 5,300 years ago. Cocoa was introduced to Europe by Spanish conquerors around the 16th century and quickly became a popular beverage.
Coffee and cocoa powder are equally delicious, so why not mix the two? Adding a bit of cocoa powder in coffee is ideal for introducing more chocolaty flavors to your cup of Joe. You can add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to a small amount of coffee and mix it.
Read on to find out more and immerse yourself in the taste of rich Milanese cocoa coffee! We will also share an incredibly delicious Italian recipe later on in this article.
- Can You Add Cocoa Powder To Coffee?
- How To Add Cocoa Powder?
- Why Cocoa Powder: Health and Nutrition Benefits
- Does Cocoa Powder Dissolve in Coffee?
- Barbajada: Milanese Cocoa and Coffee Recipe
- The Bottom Line: Cocoa Powder in Coffee
Can You Add Cocoa Powder To Coffee?
You may be glad to hear that you can add cocoa powder to your cup of coffee.
Adding some cocoa powder gives your coffee the taste of hot chocolate and can make your black coffee more enjoyable and delicious.
Besides cocoa, there are other alternatives you can add to make your coffee taste and smell better. You can add vanilla extract, honey, cinnamon, oat milk, coconut milk, almond milk, and more to your coffee.
How To Add Cocoa Powder?
There are several ways to add cocoa powder to your cup of coffee.
Cocoa Powder With Water or Milk
Cocoa powder does not dissolve easily in water at normal temperatures.
First, mix cocoa powder with a small amount of water or milk. Once the mixture has a fine consistency, you can add coffee to it.
Cocoa Powder With Ground Coffee
Take a teaspoon of cocoa powder and mix it with one teaspoon of ground coffee. Heat the water or milk over medium heat and add small amounts to the cocoa-coffee mixture. Stir well and add more milk while stirring until it’s almost frothy.
These two methods work well for us, but they are not the only ones. You can always experiment with cocoa powder and coffee powder.
Why Cocoa Powder: Health and Nutrition Benefits
Numerous researchers have found evidence that cocoa contains essential compounds that can benefit your health.
According to Healthline, cocoa powder has numerous health and nutrition benefits:
1. Rich in polyphenols, health benefits include reduced inflammation and improved cholesterol levels.
2. Cocoa powder is also rich in flavanols, which can lower blood pressure and have promising anti-cancer properties
3. It can improve blood flow and reduces cholesterol
4. Flavanols in cocoa support brain function
5. Can improve Mood and Symptoms of Depression
6. It may reduce the risk of diabetes
7. Cocoa may help with Weight Control
8. Certain Contents May Help People With Asthma
9. Cocoa has Antibacterial and Immune-Stimulating Properties
If these health benefits don’t convince you to add some cocoa powder to your coffee, we don’t know what will.
Does Cocoa Powder Dissolve in Coffee?
Cocoa powder does not dissolve entirely in coffee because it consists of small soluble and insoluble particles. If you try to dissolve cocoa powder in coffee (or milk or water), you will find a small layer of concentrated cocoa. We’ve seen this in drinks from vending machines and is due to the abovementioned reasons.
However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t dissolve cocoa powder. As described in the previous methods, you can mix the cocoa powder with a small amount of hot milk or water and stir well to make a paste. Once this paste is made, you can add coffee to dissolve at least most of the unsweetened cocoa powder.
Barbajada: Milanese Cocoa and Coffee Recipe
This simple and delicious hot drink with an intriguing name is called “Barbajada” after its creator Domenico Barbaia.
- ½ ounce cocoa powder
- 1 oz sugar
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of strong coffee or espresso
- Whipped cream
1. In a bowl, stir together cocoa powder and sugar.
2. Heat milk over moderate heat in a saucepan until steaming.
3. Whisk in the cocoa and sugar mixture with coffee until frothy.
4. Serve in warmed cups.
5. Top with whipped cream.
The Bottom Line: Cocoa Powder in Coffee
Cocoa has captivated the world for over five thousand years, and it is a huge part of everyday food and beverages in the form of chocolate.
Adding cocoa powder to your coffee drink has many benefits. We have explained in detail the different ways of adding some cocoa powder. We hope that this article helped you to find answers to your questions.
Enjoy your Barbajada or your favorite coffee drink with cocoa!
RELATED READING: 5 Health Benefits of Ghee in Coffee – Based on Scientific Studies