If you are a coffee connoisseur or a coffee lover it’s time to pay attention to new and exciting Canadian coffee roasters and suppliers. There are always new cafes opening in cities across Canada that serve locally roasted beans.
This is a list of approved Canadian coffee roasters and wholesalers. All based on our experience and considering other customer reviews. In this article, we will give you a quick overview of the top-rated suppliers, recommend coffees for you, and cover order sizes and prices.
Canadian Coffee Consumption
Canadians take their coffee seriously. According to a recent Coffee Drinking Study commissioned by the Coffee Association of Canada:
- 71% of Canadians aged 18 to 79 drank coffee during the previous day.
- 2.7 coffee cups per day were consumed in the 18-79 age group.
- 87% had their daily coffee drink prepared at home amongst those who drank coffee in the 18 to 79 age group.
Canadian Coffee Roasters & Suppliers
49th Parallel Coffee Roasters
49th Parallel Coffee Roasters is a Vancouver-based provider of high-quality, coast-to-coast coffee shops. The reason is simple. They make great coffee.
Their state-of-the-art roastery would make most coffee suppliers jealous across the continent, and they seem to make the best out of it.
49th Parallel coffees change throughout the year, and they use seasonal coffee harvests and sell each coffee at its best.
- Visit the official website: www.49thcoffee.com
- From: Vancouver, British Columbia
- Coffee recommendation: Ethiopia Beriti – Notes: strawberry, concord grape, with honey-like sweetness and tropical fruit tanginess.
- Order Size: 12 oz or 5 lb
- Prices start at 18.00 CAD
- Whole Bean
- Offer: Free shipping across Canada on orders over CAD 50
One of Canada’s most popular coffee companies, 49th Parallel continues to make their country proud with new flavors and blends. They currently offer a wide range of single-origin, decaf, instant, small-batch, blends, and espressos.
The unique taste always impresses us the most about 49 parallel coffee. Every time we open a new package, the heavenly coffee scent lingers across the kitchen. As you prepare the bean, you can feel the dedication that went into growing and roasting this coffee.
Pilot Coffee Roasters
Pilot was founded in 2009 to introduce specialty coffee to Toronto. Since its humble beginnings, it has grown into an integral part of the Canadian coffee scene. Pilot’s dedication to quality has been exemplary in the Canadian coffee community for over a decade, and they have many awards.
They have been expanding their business coast to coast while educating others on how to drink coffee. Pilot currently owns six coffee shops, with two more coming soon.
- Official website: www.pilotcoffeeroasters.com
- From: Toronto, Ontario
- Coffee Suggestion: Heritage Blend – Notes: toffee, milk chocolate & creamy
- Order size: 340 g or 2.1 kg
- Prices start at 19.50 CAD.
- Whole bean and ground: both, only medium grind available
- Offer: Free shipping across Canada on orders over CAD 30
Pilot seems to be doing everything so well. Their passion for coffee is reflected in the exceptional product quality. Not surprisingly, they have won numerous awards in recent years.
Pilot cafes have the warm atmosphere you’re looking for in a coffee shop, coupled with courteous service from experienced staff. On its website, the company offers an easy-to-search selection of products. They offer blends, single origins, and decaffeinated coffee available in whole beans or ground.
It is still convincing with its “Farm to Cup” commitment and transparent business model. Pilot has highly trained baristas and coffee shop owners for almost a decade. They also offer equipment repairs for coffee machines, espresso machines, and grinders.
De Mello Coffee Roasters
With much respect for the origins of coffee, De Mello Coffee has carved its place in Canadian coffee culture. De Mello grains are cared for like no other with precision and mastery.
The products offered by De Mello are among the highest quality coffees available on the market today. Many coffee lovers enjoy their favorite De Mello coffee through monthly subscriptions.
- Official website: www.hellodemello.com
- From: Toronto, Ontario
- Coffee recommendation: Dancing Goats – Notes: Milk Chocolate, Vanilla, Dark Cherry
- Order size: 227g or 5 Ibs
- Prices from 12.00 CAD
- Whole and Ground Bean: Both seven grinds are available
- Offer: Free shipping across Canada on orders over CAD 45
De Mello offers single-origin coffee that focuses on its original heritage. If you want to taste authentic coffee from a specific region in Central or Latin America, I recommend checking out the selection online.
They also offer subscription plans, instant coffee, and sampler sets, among other things. Trial packs are a wonderful idea for anyone trying De Mello for the first time. You’ll get a wide variety of flavors to try while searching for your ideal taste.
What stands out most about De Mello is his approach to business. They believe that every coffee has human value, and their products reflect that. As a company, they strive to be transparent and socially responsible at the same time.
Kicking Horse Coffee
Kicking Horse coffee should be on your must-try list of Canadian coffees because it’s 100% organic roasted in Canada’s Rocky Mountains. As Canada’s premier whole bean coffee company, they offer premium quality beans.
From humble beginnings in 1996, Kicking Horse has grown into one of the largest coffee companies in the country. Although their business has grown a lot, they have maintained their family core over the years.
- Official website: www.kickinghorsecoffee.com
- From: Rocky Mountains, British Columbia
- Coffee recommendation: Grizzly Claw – Notes: Dark chocolate, brown sugar, cacao nibs, and hazelnut.
- Order size: 350 g, 1 lb or 1 kg
- Prices start at CAD 9.85
- Whole bean or ground
- Offer: Free shipping across Canada on orders over CAD 75
Kicking Horse produces exceptional quality, roasted organic Arabica coffee in Canada’s Rocky Mountains that coffee novices and connoisseurs appreciate.
The majority of their products are available at major Canadian grocery stores. Still, we recommend ordering from the website, where you can choose from a selection of ground coffee, whole beans, or cold brew.
Kicking Horse continues to support Canada’s coffee culture, and the country continues to support it. Their commitment to quality, community, and passion makes the product stand out in the country’s coffee scene.
Monogram is one of Canada’s leading coffee suppliers and a favorite in the coffee community. Their business model is simple and effective. Get people drinking coffee again!
The award-winning Calgary-based coffee shop has been supplying Canada with delicious coffee for over 20 years and continues to significantly impact the country’s coffee culture.
- Official website: www.monogramcoffee.com
- From: Calgary, Alberta
- Coffee recommendation: Ardent Natural – Espresso, Notes: Dark Chocolate, Black Tea, Grapefruit
- Order size: 340g, 2lb or 5lb
- Prices from: CAD 20.00
- Whole Beans and Ground Coffee
- Offer: Free shipping across Canada on orders over CAD 40
Each Monogram coffee has its distinctive flavor that is worth experiencing at least once. The fascinating thing is that you can read about the origin of the individual spices directly on the website. They carefully guide you through the journey of the coffee beans, from cultivation to drying to treatment during roasting.
Monogram is a team of coffee growers always trying to serve the coffee community. Their professional team of coffee enthusiasts has represented Canada at the Barista World Championships five times in the past.
So if you’re ever in Calgary, you should stop by Monogram for a cup of amazing coffee.
Bean North Coffee
Bean North is a real Canadian treasure coffee supplier from northern Canada. They started their business in the Yukon but now ship across the entire country.
They sell the best Fairtrade certified organic coffees and are members of Cooperative Coffees. Bean North not only focuses on great coffee but also on creating long-lasting partnerships with the people who grow their beans.
- Official website: www.beannorth.com
- From: Whitehorse, Yukon
- Coffee recommendation: Fool’s Gold – Notes: Dark chocolate, red fruits.
- Order size: 454g (1lb)
- Pricing starts at CAD 15.99
- Whole Beans or Ground: Five grind levels are available
If you have time, be sure to check out this Bean North Micro Lots webpage. In the fashion of a true cooperative, they offer coffee specialties from participating farms in South America. The coffee on this page is part of a project encouraging coffee farmers to grow the highest quality coffee.
If that’s not enough, Bean North is also offering to plant a tree in the Peruvian Amazon on your behalf for $1. A great way to promote climate awareness!
Java Blend Coffee
One of the first players on the Canadian coffee scene, Java Blend has been brewing cups since 1928. Nova Scotians have a full range of single origins, blends, and packaging to completely please any coffee lover.
Online, they offer medium and dark roast coffees. Coffee in Halifax has a nice mix of modern sophistication and retro coffeehouse vibe.
- Official website: www.javablendcoffee.com
- From: Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Coffee recommendation: Costa Rica Red Honey – Note: Fruity, syrupy red wine
- Order size: 454 g or 1 lb
- Prices from: CAD 17.00
- Whole bean or ground
- Offer: Free local delivery
The simple names of their coffee products let me understand what I’m getting without any confusion. While others pretend their specialty coffee is exotic by giving it a fancy name, Java Blend sticks to simple labels for its products.
We recommend the special Northern Bundle when ordering a Java Blend. It’s a pound from each of their most popular blends. A great way to see what Canada’s East Coast brings to the coffee table.
Canadian Coffee Recipe
Serves two people
For the coffee
- 1/8 Cup of Maple syrup
- 1/4 Cup Canadian Whisky
- 2 Cups of Freshly Brewed Coffee
For the topping
- 1/2 Cup Whipped heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoon Maple syrup
Combine all liquids in a pot or pitcher and pour into 2 cups. Top with whipped heavy cream and drizzle with maple syrup.
Enjoy your Canadian coffee!